I have no shame in telling everyone that I was asleep before the ball dropped to ring in the new year. It’s 6:42 AM now, and I am writing this blog only because everyone else in my house is asleep and the fitness center doesn’t open until later.
As the end of December approaches, I start thinking about my One Word for the new year.
In 2014, I read Gordon, Britton, and Page’s book, One Word that Will Change Your Life. The book describes the failed attempts at keeping a new year’s resolution, and the power of defining your goal in one word. Through a process of self-reflection, I study my heart and outlook for the following year.
In the past, I haven’t deviated much from what I believe is my forever One Word, Inspire. There’s something motivating to want to approach every conversation, engagement, relationship, interaction, and moment with a sense of how it can be an opportunity for inspiration. An opportunity to inspire hope, encouragement, love, and faith.
For 2021, I choose TOGETHER as my One Word.
It makes sense, as it fits within my life quote:
The visual connotation of TOGETHER has a sense of belonging and connectedness; that we aren’t alone. Yet, it’s more than just putting people in the same room, being TOGETHER invokes a sense of hope and a spirit of vitality.
Being TOGETHER takes you more from existence to harnessing the power of the collective energy everyone brings inside them.
Being TOGETHER invokes a sense of wonder, thoughtfulness, and a realization that positive change can take place.
To affirm my One Word of TOGETHER for 2021, I plan to surround myself with quotes that emulate this sentiment:
- “Let us work TOGETHER for unity and love.” Mahatma Gandhi
- “Coming TOGETHER is a beginning; keeping TOGETHER is progress; working TOGETHER is success.” Henry Ford
- “Sometimes, love brings you TOGETHER even as life keeps you apart.” Mitch Albom
- “If everyone is moving forward TOGETHER, then success takes care of itself.” Henry Ford
- “Alone we can do so little; TOGETHER we can do so much.” Helen Keller
- “Alone we are smart. TOGETHER we are brilliant.” Steven Anderson
- “As individuals we are strong. TOGETHER, with God, we are unstoppable.” Rosemary Wixom
- “Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.” Desmond Tutu
One of my favorite movies is Facing the Giants, a movie of a high school football coach finding faith in God to rebuild his life, marriage, and the football team. A pivotal theme in the movie is the realization the coach has in knowing his purpose in helping the student athletes to “Come TOGETHER” – a song by Third Day.
Is there a “TOGETHER” quote I missed and need to add above?
Have you discovered your One Word for 2021?
If so, feel free to leave it as a Comment to share in the inspiration!